Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Blog #2

From what I was able to gather from reading Gutkind and Lott, I somewhat got the sense that both of them are blurring the line between an autobiographical story and a nonfiction essay-type story.  Before reading both of these articles, my understanding of creative nonfiction was that it is a story that is based around true events that have happened in the authors life, or something that happened to someone they know.  I always thought CNF had something to do with telling a true story not through the eyes of the author, but through the eyes of a character that takes the place of the author.  I can see that Gutkind does this in his article, but I feel like Gutkind is more or less telling the story as if it were an autobiography.  I'm not exactly sure what either Gutkind or Lott have left out in their take on the definition of creative nonfiction.  I'm having a hard time spotting the necessary details that they have left out for some reason.  However, the one thing I can say for sure is that the definition of creative writing is always evolving in light of digital publishing.  With many authors writing about stories based upon events that have occurred in their lives, it's hard not to notice that even though it's supposed to be a creative story most authors prefer to keep much of their stories true to the events in their lives.  Another thing I have noticed is that creative nonfiction stories usually comprised of a single event with the authors lives that took quite a few pages to tell.  Nowadays, in light of digital publishing, I have noticed that more and more authors write shorter stories about a single event in their lives, sometimes telling their stories in only a few pages.  This is just one of the more noticeable changes I have seen not just in CNF stories, but the definition as well.  Whether it's a story that takes many pages to tell, or a few pages to tell, or even a story that sounds more like an autobiographical story, the changes are there and clearly noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment